Particularly Important Information
Who we are: For the purpose of applicable data protection legislation, the data controller of your personal data is Tenable, Inc. of 7021 Columbia Gateway Dr., Ste. 500, Columbia, MD 21046, and its subsidiaries.
Must Read Sections: We draw your attention in particular to the sections entitled “International Data Transfer” and “Your Rights.”
Changes to this Policy: We will post any modifications or changes to the Policy on our Site.We reserve the right to modify the Policy at any time, so we encourage you to review it frequently.The “Last Updated” legend above indicates when this Policy was last changed.If we make any material change(s) to the Policy, we will notify you via email and/or post a notice on our Site prior to such changes(s) taking effect.
- Purposes of Processing
What is personal data?
We collect information about you in a range of forms, including personal data.As used in this Policy, “Personal Data” is as defined in the UK Data Protection Act 1998/the European Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC/General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and any successor legislation, this includes any information which, either alone or in combination with other information we hold about you, identifies you as an individual, including, for example, your name, postal address, email address and telephone number.
Why do we need your personal data?
We will only collect and/or process your Personal Data in accordance with applicable data protection and privacy laws and will adhere to this Policy.We need certain Personal Data in order to provide you with access to the Site, and may use your Personal Data in accordance with this Policy.If you created a profile/registered with us, you were asked to tick to agree to provide certain information in order to access our services or view our content.This consent provided us with the legal basis to process your Personal Data. As we explained at the point where your consent was provided, You maintain the right to withdraw such consent at any time.There may also be instances where you have provided your information to purchase products or enter into the Tenable Community.In such cases, Tenable has a legitimate business interest to process your Personal Data. If you do not agree to our use of your Personal Data in line with this Policy, please do not use our Site.
- Collecting Your Personal Data
We collect information about you in the following ways:
Information You Give Us.This includes:
- the personal data you provide to us may include name, postal address, email address, telephone number, and a username and;
- the personal data that may be contained in any video, comment or other submission you upload or post to the Site;
- the personal data you provide when you report a problem with our Site or when we provide you with customer support;
- the personal data you provide when you make a purchase thorough [our Site/Application(s)/Services]; and
- the personal data you provide when you correspond with us by phone, email or otherwise.
Information from Social Networking Sites. Our Site includes interfaces that allow you to connect with social networking sites (each a “SNS”).If you connect to a SNS through our Site, you authorize us to access, use and store the information that you agreed the SNS could provide to us based on your settings on that SNS.We will access, use and store that information in accordance with this Policy.You can revoke our access to the information you provide in this way at any time by amending the appropriate settings from within your account settings on the applicable SNS.
Information We Get from Others.We may also get information about you from other sources, for example, if you have agreed to share information with one of our partners, located here https://www.tenable.com/partners/channel-partner-directory, or through our e-commerce provider, Cleverbridge, content syndicators or other associated business partners.
Information Automatically Collected.We automatically log information about you and your computer or mobile device when you access our Site.For example, when visiting our Site, identify an initial public IP address to identify where you are located, we log your computer or mobile device operating system name and version, browser type, browser language, screen resolution, the website you visited before browsing to our Site, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times and information about your use of and actions on our Site.We collect this information about you using cookies.Please refer to the sections on cookies, Flash Technology and Pixel Tags below.
Automated Decision Making and Profiling. We may use automated decision making and/or profiling in regard to your personal data for some services and products, for example, when logging into Tenable’s Community, Tenable will need to identify if you are a customer or not, or messaging may change depending on your prior visits to our site. You can request a manual review of the accuracy of an automated decision that you are unhappy with or limit or object to such automated decision making and/or profiling by contacting us at [email protected].
What are cookies?
We may collect information using “cookies.”Cookies are small data files stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website.We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your computer or mobile device until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Site.
We use two broad categories of cookies:(1) first party cookies, served directly by us to your computer or mobile device, which are used only by us to recognize your computer or mobile device when it revisits our Site; and (2) third party cookies, which are served by service providers on our Site, and can be used by such service providers to recognize your computer or mobile device when it visits other websites.
Cookies we use
Our site uses the following types of cookies for the purposes set out below:
Type of cookie|Purpose
Essential Cookies|These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through our Site and to enable you to use some of its features.For example, they allow you to log in to secure areas of our Site and help the content of the pages you request load quickly.Without these cookies, the services that you have asked for cannot be provided, and we only use these cookies to provide you with those services.
Functionality Cookies|These cookies allow our Site to remember choices you make when you use our Site, such as remembering your language preferences, remembering your login details and remembering the changes you make to other parts of our Site which you can customize.The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience and to avoid you having to re-enter your preferences every time you visit our Site.
Analytics and Performance Cookies|These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our Site and how users use our Site.The information gathered does not identify any individual visitor.The information is aggregated and anonymous.It includes the number of visitors to our Site, the websites that referred them to our Site, the pages they visited on our Site, what time of day they visited our Site, whether they have visited our Site before, and other similar information.We use this information to help operate our Site more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information and to monitor the level of activity on our Site.
We use Google Analytics for this purpose.Google Analytics uses its own cookies.It is only used to improve how our Site works.You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies. You can find out more about how Google protects your data here:www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html.You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of our Site by downloading and installing the browser plugin available via this link:http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB.
Targeted and advertising cookies|These cookies track your browsing habits to enable us to show advertising which is more likely to be of interest to you.These cookies use information about your browsing history to group you with other users who have similar interests.Based on that information, and with our permission, third party advertisers can place cookies to enable them to show adverts which we think will be relevant to your interests while you are on third party websites.
You can disable cookies which remember your browsing habits and target advertising at you by visiting http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices.If you choose to remove targeted or advertising cookies, you will still see adverts but they may not be relevant to you.Even if you do choose to remove cookies by the companies listed at the above link, not all companies that serve online behavioral advertising are included in this list, and so you may still receive some cookies and tailored adverts from companies that are not listed.
Social Media Cookies|These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button or “like” button on [our Site/Application(s)/Services] or you link your account or engage with our content on or through a social networking website such as Facebook, Twitter or Google+.The social network will record that you have done this.
You can typically remove or reject cookies via your browser settings.In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “settings,” “help” “tools” or “edit” facility). Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings.
Further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.com.uk.
- PIXEL TAGS
We may also use pixel tags (which are also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) on our Site to track the actions of users on our Site.Unlike cookies, which are stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website, pixel tags are embedded invisibly on webpages.Pixel tags measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Site, so that we can manage our content more effectively.The information we collect using pixel tags is not linked to our users’ personal data.
Generally.We may use other companies to serve third-party advertisements when you visit and use the Site.These companies may collect and use click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over during your visits to the Site and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of interest to you.These companies typically use tracking technologies to collect this information.Other companies' use of their tracking technologies is subject to their own privacy policies.
Targeted Advertising.In order to serve offers and advertisements that may interest you, we may display targeted advertisements on the Site, or other digital properties or applications in conjunction with our content based on information provided to us by our users and information provided to us by third parties that they have independently collected.We do not provide personal data to advertisers when you interact with an advertisement.
Your Ad Choices.Some of the third party services providers and/or advertisers may be members of the Network European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance ("EDAA") Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioural Advertising.To learn more, visit http://www.edaa.eu/edaa-for-users which provides information regarding targeted advertising and the "opt-out" procedures of EDAA members.
- Using Your Personal Data
We may use your personal data as follows:
- to operate, maintain, and improve our Site, products, and services;
- to evaluate your registration or application for our products and services;
- to deliver the services You request, manage your account, including to communicate with you regarding your account;
- to respond to your comments and questions and to provide customer service;
- to send information including technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- with your consent, to send you marketing e-mails about upcoming promotions, newsletters, new products, services, webinars, training seminars and other news, including information about products and services offered by us and our affiliates.You may opt-out of receiving such information at any time:such marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out,” or by visiting Tenable’s subscription center:https://info.tenable.com/SubscriptionManagement.html. Please note, even if you opt out of receiving marketing emails, we may still send you non-marketing emails.Non-marketing emails include emails about your account with us (if you have one) and our business dealings with you;
- after you have purchased our software from our e-commerce provider and include your information in our database as a customer
- to link or combine user information with other personal data;
- as we believe necessary or appropriate (a) to comply with applicable laws; (b) to comply with lawful requests and legal process, including to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (c) to enforce our Policy; and (d) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and
- as described in the “Sharing of your Personal Data” section below.
- Sharing Your Personal Data
We may share your personal data as follows:
- Third Parties Designated by You.We may share your personal data with third parties where you have provided your consent to do so.
- Our Third Party Service Providers.We may share your personal data with our third party service providers who provide services such as data analysis, distribution partners, resellers, HR services, information technology and related infrastructure provision (such as Amazon Web Services), customer service, email delivery, auditing and other similar services.We may also give information to one of our partners, located here https://www.tenable.com/partners/channel-partner-directory.These third parties are only permitted to use your personal data to the extent necessary to enable them to provide their services to us.They are required to follow our express instructions and to comply with appropriate security measures to protect your personal data.
- Third Party Advertisers.We may share personal data with advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
- Affiliates.We may share some or all of your personal data with our affiliates, in which case we will require our affiliates to comply with this Policy.In particular, you may let us share personal data with our affiliates where you wish to receive marketing communications from them.
- Corporate Restructuring.We may share personal data when we do a business deal, or negotiate a business deal, involving the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets.These deals can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
- Other Disclosures.We may share personal data as we believe necessary or appropriate:(a) to comply with applicable laws; (b) to comply with lawful requests and legal process, including to respond to requests from public and government authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; (c) to enforce our Policy; and (d) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others.
- Anonymous Data
When we use the term “anonymous data,” we are referring to data and information that does not permit you to be identified or identifiable, either alone or when combined with any other information available to a third party.
We may create anonymous data from the personal data we receive about you and other individuals whose personal data we collect.Anonymous data might include analytics information and information collected by us using cookies. We make personal data into anonymous data by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this anonymous data for our own purposes, including the ability to analyze usage patterns in order to make improvements to our Site.
- Third Party Sites
Our Site may contain links to third party websites and features.This Policy does not cover the privacy practices of such third parties.These third parties have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their websites, features or policies. Please read their privacy policies before you submit any data to them.For example, we may link to social media pages through widgets on our Site or we may provide links to industry reports.
- User Generated Content
You may share personal data with us when you submit user generated content to our Site, including via our Tenable Community.Please note that any information you post or disclose on Site will become public information, and will be available to other users of our Site and to the general public.We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your personal data, or any other information, on our Site. Such personal data and other information will not be private or confidential once it is published on our Site.
- International Data Transfer
Your information, including personal data that we collect from you, may be transferred to, stored at and processed by us and our affiliates and other third parties outside the country in which you reside, including, but not limited to the United States, where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in other parts of the world.By using our Site, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.]We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal data within our organization.Unfortunately, no transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be completely secure, and transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure.If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us using the details in Section 17 below.
We will only retain your personal data as long reasonably required for you to use the Site unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (for example for regulatory purposes).
- Our Policy on Children
Our Site is not directed to children under 16.If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us using the details in Section 17 below.We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable.
- YOUR RIGHTS
- Opt-out. You may contact us anytime to opt-out of:(i) direct marketing communications; (ii) automated decision-making and/or profiling; (iii) our collection of sensitive personal data; (iv) any new processing of your personal data that we may carry out beyond the original purpose; or (v) the transfer of your personal data outside the EEA.Please note that your use of some of the Site may be ineffective upon opt-out.
- You may request what access Tenable has about you at any time by contacting us directly.
- You can also contact us to update or correct any inaccuracies in your personal data.
- Your personal data is portable – i.e. you to have the flexibility to move your data to other service providers as you wish.
- Erase and forget. In certain situations, for example when the information we hold about you is no longer relevant or is incorrect, you can request that we erase your data.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the details in Section 17 below.In your request, please make clear:(i) what personal data is concerned; and (ii) which of the above rights you would like to enforce. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal data associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request.We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable and in any event, within one month of your request.Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, legal purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion.
We are committed to resolve any complaints about our collection or use of your personal data.If you would like to make a complaint regarding this Policy or our practices in relation to your personal data, please contact us at:[email protected].We will reply to your complaint as soon as we can and in any event, within 45 days.We hope to resolve any complaint brought to our attention, however if you feel that your complaint has not been adequately resolved, you reserve the right to contact your local data protection supervisory authority, which for the UK, is the Information Commissioner’s Office.
- Contact Information
- EU-U.S.PRIVACY SHIELD
Tenable complies with the EU-U.S.Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data transferred from the EU to the United States.We have certified to the Department of Commerce that we adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles.If there is any conflict between the terms in this Policy and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall take precedence.To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, the Privacy Shield Principles and to view our certification, please visit www.privacyshield.gov.
As described in the Privacy Shield Principles, Tenable is accountable for personal data that it receives and subsequently transfers to third parties.If third parties that process personal data on our behalf do so in a manner that does not comply with the Privacy Shield Principles, we are accountable, unless we prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Tenable commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal data. EU individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding this Policy should first contact us at:[email protected], or [email protected].
Tenable has further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to JAMS, an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the [INSERT either the United States or EU].If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, if we have not resolved your complaint, or wish to file a complaint please contact:
Attn:Kathleen Pierz, Practice Development Manager, Global Privacy Shield and Safe Harbor Coordinator
620 Eighth Ave. 34th Floor
New York, NY 10018
The services of JAMS are provided at no cost to you.
As further explained in the Privacy Shield Principles, binding arbitration before a Privacy Shield Panel will also be made available to you in order to address residual complaints not resolved by any other means.Tenable is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
- EMPLOYEE PERSONAL DATA
Tenable commits to cooperate with the panel established by the EU data protection authorities (DPAs) and comply with the advice given by the panel with regard to human resources data transferred from the EU in the context of the employment relationship.Please contact us to be directed to the relevant DPA contacts.